History

History

Staying true to tradition

Prym is Germany’s oldest family owned business, with a reputation for high-quality metal products, from sewing needles to electronic components.

To shed more light on the beginnings of the company and better understand the pioneering developments which ensured our success and paved the way to the 21st century, the William Prym corporate archive has been researching the company’s history for decades.

The firm’s history dates back to the 14th century, when a man named Johann Prym is reported to have worked in the metal industry in 1340.

Despite these early documents, the company is said to be founded in 1530, when records indicate that Wilhelm Prym started up business as a goldsmith in Aachen. However, in 1642 the Protestant Prym family lost its guild rights in the Catholic city of Aachen and moved to Stolberg along with many others in the same situation. This is where the company’s head office is still found today – nobody could have dreamed back then that the company would enjoy such a long and successful history, one day employing over 4,000 people worldwide.

With the development of mass production, our product range has continued to grow bigger and better. We have also long been a pioneer in the field of marketing. In fact, “Prym” and “Prym's Zukunft” (Prym’s future) were among the very first brand names of the 19th century, while the stag with a needle in its antlers (featured in the family’s coat of arms) is one of the most famous trademarks in the needlework industry.

Today, we offer an even wider range of products: from press fasteners and knitting needles to contact pins and high-tech microelectronic components, our products can be found almost everywhere you look.

Over the centuries, our respect for tradition combined with our commitment to innovation has ensured that we are always able to satisfy the needs of our customers and our staff.

Other topics

Press FastenerA smart fastener

Head office

Prym Fashion GmbH

Zweifaller Straße 130

D-52224 Stolberg

Fon(+49) 24 02-14 05

Fax(+49) 24 02-14 29 01

E-MailContact

E-MailHow to find us